Before you go on a trip, especially one that won’t allow you to rent gear, you need a check list. A packing list, and a bag that you can carry on the plane. Checking your gear and trusting airport baggage with expensive equipment is a bit foolhardy. If only I could Fed-Ex it all so it arrived before me. But I don’t even trust that. So – I thought I’d let you all into my ritual of organizing before a photo excursion by posting my check list.
- 1. Holga w/Polaroid Back. I don’t leave home without it!
- 2. And that means – 10 packs of Type 85 Pos/Neg
- 3. Sodium Sulfite (hmm… airport security… wonders to myself)
- 4. Polaroid Bucket
- 5. 2 Nikon FM
- 6. Nikkor 50mm
- 7. Nikkor 105
- 8. Red Filter, Orange Filter, Yellow Filter
- 9. 20 BW Kodak Tri-X 35mm 400 Speed
- 10. Rollei
- 11. 20 BW Ilford Delta 120 400 Speed
- 12. 20 BW Kodak Tri-X 120 400 Speed
- 13. The last stash of Kodak Portra
- 14. My last roll of Kodak Color Infrared
- 15. Film Cooler for Infrared Film
- 16. Diana Camera
- 17. Pano Holga Camera
- 18. 4×4 silver/white reflector
- 19. Polaroid film protectors
I’m debating on taking my Speed Graphic 4×5. I know I’ll want it at some point but the terrain is going to be rugged and traveling light seems like that will give me the most freedom. Not only would I have to tote the 4×5 around but boxes of Type 55 too. So it’s not sounding too adventurous at the moment. Thinking about renting something while I’m there for a day so …
- 20. i545 Polaroid Back
- 21. 1 box of Polaroid Type 55
Yeah – I kind of have to shoot 4×5 – at least one day. Even though it will be insanely cumbersome, it will probably be worth it.
- 22. Video Camera
I have a few days yet, trying to think of more crap I can fit into a carryon seems exhausting. If only I just needed clothing.
For those wondering what the prize is going to be… I’ve decided to give whoever guesses where I am 2 movies I made to music of my photography mailed to you.